This lesson will provide an overview of the disaster process within the Dairy industry as well as a few key things to consider during flood events.
- Minimising flood risk
- Increasing on farm resilience
- Improvery the recovery process as well as the rate of recovery
Key Themes for Recovery
There are a few key themes to really consider during the disaster recovery process.
These themes include:
- Labour units and farm accessibility.
- Emergency reserves (cashflow & feed)
- Fence recovery
- Animal health and welfare
- Generators (indpendent power source)
- Cultivation – loss of topsoil
- River/creek bank erosion.
Its important that you understand and comprehend the outcomes from the last flood event. Ensure that your business is building back stronger by improving on infrastructure such as feedpads, loafing sheds and improving laneways. This will ensure that your animals are kept out of the wet conditions improving their overall health.